MANNA Food Helpline

The Helpline is available Monday-Friday from 9AM-4PM.

Call: 1-800-820-1109
Text: 828-367-9456

Hello! We can help you navigate SNAP.

Navigating the world of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits—often referred to as SNAP or “food stamps”—can feel overwhelming. Sifting through complex information online often causes additional stress that none of us need when we’re worried about where our next meal will come from. The MANNA Food Helpline is here to help with the information and tools needed to get set up with SNAP and help keep healthy food on the table.

We’re here to help you find food when you need it.

If you or someone you know in Western North Carolina is currently struggling to afford groceries, our Food Helpline agents can help! Our Food Helpline team is comprised of caring staff and volunteers and are specially trained to assist you with:

  • SNAP applications and re-certifications
  • Referrals to food pantries, markets, and meals
  • Referrals to additional resources

How Can I Apply for SNAP?
We can help you navigate the SNAP application, as well as recertify for benefits if you already receive SNAP.

Do I Qualify for SNAP?
Check here to see if you might be eligible, and learn more about SNAP.

Where Can I Use SNAP Benefits?
Your SNAP benefits can be used at most locations that sell groceries.

If you have more questions about SNAP, keep reading!


SNAP (formerly known as food stamps) is a United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) program that can help you put food on the table. SNAP is a monthly allocation of grocery dollars for individuals and families who need help getting enough food. In North Carolina, SNAP is administered under a program called Food and Nutrition Services (FNS). Benefits are loaded each month onto what is called an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card, which works like a debit card. SNAP benefits can be used to purchase food at grocery stores, convenience stores, at some farmer’s markets and co-op food programs, and even online through certain retailers.

​​Every person’s card has a different amount of money attached to it based upon their personal income and family situation – up to a maximum of $281 each month for a single-person household or $939 for a family of four. You will receive details when your application is approved. Each month you are enrolled in the SNAP program, this amount will be added to your card and can be used to purchase food. Any unused funds are available for up to one year from the date they’re added to your card.

SNAP can be used for:

  • Fruits and vegetables
  • Meat, poultry, and fish
  • Dairy products
  • Breads and cereals
  • Other foods such as snack foods and non-alcoholic drinks
  • Seeds and plants that produce food

SNAP can’t be used for:

  • Alcohol or tobacco
  • Live animals
  • Pre-prepared hot foods
  • Pet foods
  • Non-edible products

In addition, some stores and several regional farmers’ markets accept SNAP and participate in the Double SNAP for Fruits and Vegetables program. Learn more.

*Not a North Carolina resident? Find your local food bank and get connected to food in your area.

About SNAP

Would you like more information about SNAP? Read our Frequently Asked Questions page to learn more.

WIC: The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children

WIC stands for Women, Infants, and Children. It is the Special Supplemental Program for Women, Infants and Children funded by the USDA.


In accordance with federal civil rights law and USDA civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity (including gender expression), sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, family/parental status, income derived from a public assistance program, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity, in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA (not all bases apply to all programs). Remedies and complaint filing deadlines vary by program or incident.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.) should contact the responsible Agency or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program discrimination complaint, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, AD-3027, found online at How to File a Program Discrimination Complaint and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave. SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; fax: (202) 690-7442; or e-mail: