Need Help Putting Food On the Table During Tough Times?

We Are Here to Help.

Did you know…

  • 2 out of 3 Senior Citizens who are eligible for FNS are not enrolled.
  • Unused grocery dollars can roll over for up to 365 days.
  • You may be eligible for FNS even if you own a car, a home, or have money in savings.
  • Adults without children may be eligible.
  • You may be eligible even if you are employed.
  • Many people receiving unemployment benefits or Social Security may also qualify.

If you wish to speak with a live person and learn more about food assistance, call MANNA’s Food Helpline at 1-800-820-1109. We will assist you in finding nearby food pantries, and provide assistance with your food stamp application or recertification.

Update: Changes to SNAP/FNS/Food Stamps Due to COVID-19


ABAWD Restrictions Temporarily Suspended

As of April 1, 2020, time limits for Able Bodied Adults without Dependents (ABAWDs) were suspended in ALL states per the Families First Coronavirus Response Act. During this pandemic, jobless adults will remain eligible for SNAP without having to report they are working for an average of 20 hours per week as they normally would.

North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services Approves Maximum Allotment of Benefits for March and April

From the NC DHHS:

If you already receive help buying food through Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) , the NC Department of Health and Human Services has received permission to enhance your benefits during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Maximum Allotments for Eligible Households

All families that receive FNS will receive the maximum amount allowed for March 2020 and April 2020 for their household size. For example, a family of four would be eligible to receive a total of $646 for each of the two months no matter what their usual amount is. The increase is subject to the following guidelines:

  • Households that have already received the maximum amount for their household size will not receive the temporary increase.
  • The household size will not include ineligible or disqualified members.
  • Households that were ineligible in either March 2020 or April 2020 will not receive a temporary increase for the month(s) they were ineligible.
  • Households that were eligible for an allotment but either month prorated to $0 will receive a supplement for the prorated month.
  • If a household had a prior overpayment that was being recouped during March or April, that will not affect the supplement amount.

Households will begin receiving the temporary increased benefit on their Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card on April 1 and April 22. They will be randomly generated and staggered every other workday until all eligible households have received their temporary increase.

Recipients will continue to receive their regular benefits and should be aware they will receive two separate payments for March and two for April.

To check availability of benefits families should:

  • Call 1-888-622-7328.
  • Visit Click on More Information under EBT Cardholders.
  • Download the ebtEDGE mobile app. The app is available as a free download on the Apple Store and Google Play.

Am I Eligible for Food Benefits?

The Food and Nutrition Program in North Carolina (FNS), formerly known as food stamps, can help struggling families buy the food they need. Benefits are provided on a debit card and are accepted at most grocery stores. MANNA staff and volunteers can help you determine your eligibility, and complete your application or recertification over the phone. You can also apply directly at your county’s Department of Social Services.

To receive FNS benefits, you need to meet certain income criteria and other guidelines. View current income limits below.

Call 1-800-820-1109 or provide your contact info here.

Effective October 2020:

Household Size Gross Monthly Income
(200% categorical eligibility)*
Gross Monthly Income
(130% of poverty)
Maximum Benefit Allotment
1 $2,128 $1,383 $234
2 $2874 $1,868 $430
3 $3,620 $2,353 $616
4 $4,368 $2,839 $782
5 $5,114 $3,324 $929
6 $5,860 $3,809 $1,114
7 $6,608 $4,295 $1,232
8 $7,354 $4,780 $1,408
Each additional member +748 +486 +176


*Most FNS households will fall under the 200% categorical eligibility.
Gross income means a household’s total, non-excluded income, before any deductions have been made.

Net income means gross income minus allowable deductions.

Categorically eligible households are not subject to the resource, gross, and net income limits. Non-categorically eligible households are subject to resource, gross, and net income limits. Non-categorically eligible households that contain specified individuals are only subject to the resource and net income limits.



In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. 

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. 

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: 

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; 

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or 

(3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.