Kao USA Conducts Expanded Voluntary Recall of Jergens® Ultra Healing Moisturizer - 3/25/22
Company Announcement Date:
March 21, 2022
FDA Publish Date:
March 23, 2022
Skin Care Products
Reason for Announcement:
Presence of Pluralibacter gergoviae, a bacterium
Kao USA Inc.
Ultra Healing Moisturizer
In the news release, Kao USA Conducts Voluntary Recall of Jergens® Ultra Healing Moisturizer, issued 11-Mar-2022 by Kao USA Inc. over PR Newswire, we are advised by the company that in the IDENTIFYING THE AFFECTED PRODUCTS section, two lot codes have been added to the 3 oz size section (“ZU722861” and “ZU722871”). The complete, corrected release follows:
CINCINNATI, Ohio, March 11, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — Kao USA Inc. is asking consumers to check their Jergens® Ultra Healing Moisturizer 3 oz and 10 oz products to determine if it is part of a voluntary recall of the product.
Select units of Jergens® Ultra Healing Moisturizer could show the presence of Pluralibacter gergoviae, a bacterium which typically poses little medical risk to healthy people. However, people who have certain health problems such as weakened immune systems may be more susceptible to infections. Kao USA is urging consumers to discontinue use of the recalled lotion specified below as a precautionary measure.
Further investigation to determine the scope of the issue is still ongoing. However, Kao USA Inc. promptly took the precautionary step of issuing a voluntary recall of the affected product by removing the product in question from warehouses, working with retailers to ensure the product is removed from store shelves, and proactively notifying consumers.
Kao USA cares about our consumers’ safety. We are committed to manufacturing products that not only meet, but exceed, the highest industry standards.
The amount of recalled product is limited to two sizes offered for Jergens® Ultra Healing Moisturizer.
Only specific lots of the 3 oz and 10 oz sizes are affected.
IDENTIFYING THE AFFECTED PRODUCTS
- Jergens® Ultra Healing Moisturizer, manufactured between October 1, 2021 and October 18, 2021, could be impacted.
- The affected lot codes for the 3 oz size can be found on the back of the bottle printed in black inkand begin with the prefix “ZU”:
- The affected lot codes for the 10 oz size can be found on the bottom of the bottle printed in black inkand begin with the prefix “ZU”:
Kao USA Inc. has informed regulatory authorities of the issue and we are working with our partners on improved cleaning and sanitization practices so that similar issues can be prevented in the future.
Anyone who has product from a recalled lot should call the Kao USA Inc. Consumer Care Center for a free product coupon at the following number: 1.800.742.8798 or send an email to: email@example.com. (Hours of operation: Monday – Friday, 9AM – 5PM US ET) A postage paid label and plastic bag will be sent to consumers via mail to easily return the product.
* We believe that none of the product being recalled were processed or offered through the national office
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
About Feeding America Recall Notices
The Feeding America national office issues notifications of all national Class I and II recalls–those involving a health hazard situation in which there is reasonable probability that eating the food will cause health problems or death–and other recalls that may affect the safety of food supplied to network members.
The national office strongly encourages all member product solicitors, operations managers, and others involved in food and grocery distribution to regularly consult resources provided by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) at http://www.fda.gov/opacom/7alerts.html, and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) at http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fsis_Recalls/index.asp. Additionally, members can often receive information on national, state, and local recalls by contacting their local health departments.
Feeding America National Office
35 E. Wacker Drive, Suite 2000
Chicago, IL 60601