Thank you for your interest in working for MANNA. There is one opening available at this time.
To apply for an available position:
Below you’ll find a MANNA job application. Please fill it out completely, and return it by fax (828-299-3664); by mail (627 Swannanoa River Rd., Asheville NC 28805); or by e-mail to the address listed in the job description, along with your resume and cover letter. You can also drop off your application at MANNA’s front desk.
PDF application: manna-job-application-packet-1-11
Word document application: manna-job-application-packet-1-11
If your computer permits, try this manna-application-fillable-form-7-13-12; fill in the required fields and print the document. Saving is not enabled.
CHIEF DEVELOPMENT OFFICER – 12/15/14
MANNA FoodBank seeks an experienced Chief Development Officer (CDO) to lead a team of professionals in the development and implementation of a comprehensive fundraising and donor relations program to ensure both immediate and sustainable financial support for the mission and programs of the organization. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in resource development and a passion for the MANNA vision of a hunger-free Western North Carolina (WNC).
MANNA FoodBank was incorporated in 1983. As an accredited member of Feeding America, the nation’s largest domestic hunger relief organization, the mission of MANNA FoodBank is to involve, educate, and unite people in the work of ending hunger in Western North Carolina.
MANNA’s operations involve procuring, warehousing, and distributing food to over 220 partner agencies in a 2.5-hour radius of the central facility in Asheville – 14.1 million pounds in the past year. The partner agencies include food pantries, soup kitchens, homeless shelters and other emergency providers who are in direct contact with the more than 106,000 people who receive service each year through this network of support. In addition, MANNA has a team of SNAP (food stamp) outreach workers who assist people with access to cash benefits to supplement their food budget.
Food insecurity rates are high in WNC, impacting more than 25% of children. Rural poverty is a particular challenge in the 16-county service area, and MANNA is committed to providing excellent service in a sometimes challenging terrain and environment.
MANNA FoodBank has a 4-star Charity Navigator rating and has a solid network of relationships with local partners, funders, and government agencies. It has a strong, talented 21-member board and an experienced and passionate staff. The annual budget is approximately $5 million and MANNA is currently in a strong financial position. It is nearing the final stages of a capital campaign and facilities renovation called the Space to Erase Hunger that will provide the infrastructure to support recent and future growth. Current staffing includes three senior management positions that report to the CEO and 49 management, program and operations staff. The organizational culture can be described as hardworking, down-to-earth, compassionate, and thankful towards clients, donors, partners and volunteers.
Western North Carolina is a culturally rich region that is economically, politically, and geographically diverse. The position is based in Asheville, which is often referred to as one of the top places in the country to live. Located in the heart of the Southern Appalachian mountains, Asheville possesses a thriving and eclectic arts and music scene, a vibrant central downtown district, a strong sense of community, and wide-ranging opportunities for year-round outdoor activities. Western North Carolina includes a large and collaborative nonprofit sector.
POSITION DESCRIPTION—Chief Development Officer, MANNA FoodBank
The Chief Development Officer (CDO) is a key member of the Senior Management Team and will help advance the mission, programs and services of MANNA FoodBank through development and implementation of effective fundraising and donor relations programs to ensure both immediate and sustainable funding. The initial priority of the successful candidate will be to provide leadership in the creation of a comprehensive plan to strategically build MANNA’s fundraising capacity to meet the challenges of a growing organization.
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
SUPERVISES: Marketing and Communications Director, Corporate and Individual Giving Director, Planned Giving Director, Grants Manager, Donor Relations Manager, and Volunteer Manager
• Work closely with staff and board members to identify and implement ambitious, clearly defined resource development strategies to support MANNA’s mission, vision, values and goals.
• Provide leadership to the resource development team to ensure their efforts are on target and accomplished in a timely and professional manner; maximize the diverse talents and skills of individual staff and provide them with the support needed to be successful in their work.
• Evaluate the impact of internal and external forces on MANNA and its fund development; recommend short and long-term fund development plans and programs.
• Understand and incorporate advances and best practices in philanthropy and fund development, as well as the general fields of management and the not-for-profit sector.
• Develop strong relationships with key funders, board members, staff, influencers, community members, fundraising and marketing consultants, and others critical to individual and institutional fundraising efforts.
• Ensure a diversified funding base to include individual, corporate, planned giving, foundation, government, special events, direct mail campaign and Internet fundraising strategies tailored to the needs of MANNA that will enable it to attract, retain and motivate donors and volunteers.
• Represent MANNA to donors, prospects, regulators and funders in a manner that demonstrates integrity, knowledge of food insecurity issues and MANNA programs, and a passion for the mission.
• Oversee the development and submittal of grant proposals for funds from private foundations, corporations and government agencies.
• Display ease and comfort with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor’s Degree in Fundraising, Public Leadership, Business Management or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience. Fundraising certification (CFRE) is an asset.
• Seven or more years of successful fundraising experience with progressive levels of responsibility; knowledge of current practices and trends in philanthropy.
• Experience in the management and supervision of a team of professional staff; ability to inspire and motivate staff to collaborate on the achievement of a clearly defined development plan.
• Strong relationship building skills, including both interpersonal skills and motivational speaking.
• Experience in short and long-term planning, evaluation, verbal and written communication skills, marketing and financial management.
• Knowledge and experience in the following areas: philanthropy, ethics, volunteer recruitment and management; marketing and communication; research and cultivation practices; fundraising techniques, including face-to-face solicitation; proposal writing; special events; direct mail; and development office functions including gift processing, prospect and donor histories and fundraising reporting.
• Current skills and comfort level for exploring advancements in the use of technology and the internet for fundraising.
• Excellent management, planning, presentation and time management skills.
• Excellent knowledge and skills using MS Office (Word, Excel and Access) and Fundraising Software.
• Valid drivers’ license and availability for occasional evening and weekend assignments.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume by email addressed to the MANNA Chief Development Officer Search Committee to:SSchwartz@mannafoodbank.org
For more information about MANNA FoodBank, please visit the website at: http://www.mannafoodbank.org.
MANNA FoodBank is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to recruiting a broadly diverse pool of qualified candidates for the position.